I feel like the term “monthly recap” is pretty self-explanatory, but just in case here’s my spiel! I’ll be recapping what I’ve read for the month and what reviews I’ve written, along with what I’m planning to read for next month. What’s been happening in my personal life may also be making an appearance from time to time (this of course depends on whether anything interesting happens!).
What I Read in May:
- Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge (YA, Fantasy, Romance)
- The Exiled Queen by Cinda Williams Chima (YA, Fantasy)
- Nice Dragons Finish Last by Rachel Aaron (UF, Audiobook)
- Hark! A Vagrant by Kate Beaton (Graphic Novel/Comics, History)
- Dead Heat by Patricia Briggs (UF)
- Rat Queens, Vol. 2: The Far Reaching Tentacles of N’rygoth (Graphic Novel/Comics)
- Owl and the Japanese Circus by Kristi Charish (UF)
- Stolen Songbird by Danielle Jensen (YA, Fantasy, Romance)
- Sex Criminals, Vol. 1: One Weird Trick by Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky (Graphic Novel/Comics, SF)
- For a Few Demons More by Kim Harrison (UF, Audiobook)
Yeah, I read ten books in May. Check me out! I’m pretty pleased with that number since April was a pretty slump-y month for me. Standouts of the month were Nice Dragons Finish Last and Rat Queens Vol. 2, highly recommend both titles and my reviews for them should be appearing soon! I marathoned the Nice Dragons Finish Last audiobook in like three days – that’s how good it was.
What I Reviewed in May:
- Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge
- An Artificial Night by Seanan McGuire
- Late Eclipses by Seanan McGuire
- Dead Heat by Patricia Briggs
It’s been a very urban fantasy heavy month in terms of reviews (is anyone surprised?), mostly because I’d been putting off reviewing some of my audiobook listens. My reviews for June will probably be a bit more varied, since I’ve been on a bit of an adult fantasy kick.
Reading & Blogging Updates:
Would you believe that I didn’t buy a single book this month? No, I didn’t think you would. BUT the books I purchased were gifts for friends and family so I’m going to go ahead and say that I stuck with my book buying ban. My TBR challenge is looking a little shaky though, since this month’s deluge of ARCs combined with the heady power of a new library system to present a whole slew of new-t0-me books. My goal for June is to read 5 books from my physical TBR – fingers crossed for me, y’all!
Here are a couple books that I’m hoping to read in June that I snagged from the library. I had been resisting Snow Like Ashes for the longest time, but I got an ARC of the sequel for review so it’s finally time. I’ve already read Sex Criminals Vol. 1: One Weird Trick (bizarre, funny, dark and kinda sad) so you can expect a review of that one along with a slew of other graphic novels in the next few weeks.
I’m all settled in to my new town and my new apartment – yay! It’s always strange getting acclimated to a new city, discovering the ins and outs of the area and all that. On my more recent jaunts I’ve been exploring a walking trail that goes along a river near my place; it’s so pretty there! June is the month when I officially start work (I’ve had a month off!) and I’m pretty excited to get back to it again. As much as I love hanging out and reading, sometimes I need something to engage my brain space, you know?