I feel like the term “monthly recap” is pretty self-explanatory, but just in case here’s my spiel! I’ll be recapping what I’ve read for the month and what reviews I’ve written, along with what I’m planning to read for next month. What’s been happening in my personal life may also be making an appearance from time to time (this of course depends on whether anything interesting happens!).
What I’ve Read This Month:
- The Jade Peony by Wayson Choy (school)
- Doctor Faustus by Christopher Marlowe (school)
- Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire
- Silent Words by Ruby Slipperjack (school)
- The Pot of Gold, the Menaechmi, and Other Plays by Plautus (school)
- Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (RTC)
- Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare (school)
- Halfbreed by Maria Campbell (school)
- Otherworld Nights by Kelley Armstrong (RTC)
- Diamond Grill by Fred Wah (school)
- Saga Vol. 3 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples (RTC)
See how many books I read for school this month? School is crazy intense right now. That’s all I’ve got to say about that. As for books I actually want to read…I’ve been in a bit of a book slump, honestly. I’ve been reading Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson for WEEKS now and even though I really like it I can’t seem to push through to the end. Audiobooks seem to be a safe bet though – such a nice way to rest my eyes and keep my mind occupied while doing chores – so maybe I’ll grab it with an Audible credit and try that instead.
I’ve also dived into Instagram this month! I’ve had it for a while but it’s only been recently that I’ve been regularly posting and browsing; it’s a surprisingly effective way to find new blogs that cover the same kinds of books that I do! Plus it’s a great way to numb my brain on my break at work. Here’s my favourite picture I took in October:
Last month I tried setting a mini-TBR for myself and it was a massive flop: I only read 1/4 of the books I set out to. I’ve been thinking about it a lot and I’ve decided that TBRs are just not my thing. They make reading for fun feel too similar to assigned readings for school – and I’ve got more than enough of those. I genuinely don’t know what I’ll be reading in November and I’m pretty excited about that!
What I’ve Reviewed This Month:
- Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire (UF)
- Black Dog by Caitlin Kittredge (UF)
- Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (UF)
- Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (UF)
As you can see, October was the month of UF! Sadly there was a bit of a mad scramble to write some of these reviews, I’m thinking I may need to implement a system beyond what I’ve got going right now, which basically consists of me going “OH &*%$ I HAVEN’T WRITTEN A REVIEW THIS WEEK” and trying to bang one out. It’s weird how unorganized I am about blogging because in every other respect I’m hyper-organized. Clearly I need to find a way to make that skill transferable!